The Visayas Regional Assembly was scheduled on 23-25 September 2016. It aimed to sustain the existing camaraderie and the active participation and involvement of PHILKOFA members in projects and activities of the organization. It was also a great opportunity to reach out to PHILKOFAN’s in the region.
An outreach program for a selected community in Barangay Dagbasan, Mabinay, Negros Oriental as well as lectures/talks in Saemul Undong facilitated by PHILKOFAN Larry Pamugas, Bohol Provincial Agriculturist, and mosquito-borne diseases by BOT Treasurer Teresita Puente, Pasig LGU Nurse were conducted.
The above activities were the first of PHILKOFA’s efforts to realign with KOICA’s new strategy/guidelines after its announcement.
The highlights of the Visayas Regional Assembly were the following:
- PhilKOFA paid a courtesy call to Governor RoelRagayDegama of Negros Oriental to introduce PHILKOFA and to inform him of the activities that PHILKOFA will be implementing in his province. It was also an opportunity to broach the subject of possible further cooperation between PHILKOFA and the Local Government Units of Dumaguete. Gov. Degama was receptive to the proposal and extended an open invitation to PHILKOFA to visit Dumaguete.
- The Visayas Regional Assembly was well-represented. There were participants from Dumaguete, Bohol, Iloilo, Sorsogon, Davao, and National Capital Region. To refresh the memories of PhilKOFANs present, a video presentation of KOICA and PHILKOFA shown. Moreover, forthcoming activities of PHILKOFA such as the Mindanao Regional Assembly, Luzon Regional Assembly and General Membership Meeting were announced. Members were encouraged to attend the said activities and to help disseminate the information to other PHILKOFANs.
- Knowledge Sharing Lecturea. Lecture on SaemulUndong – Mr. Larry Pamugas, an Agriculturist from the Local Government Unit of Bohol, attended a short training in Korea years ago regardingSaemulUndong. Upon his return to the Philippines, he has adapted the concept and has shared it with farmers, community leaders and other stakeholders.
A total of 53 participants composed of farmers, community leaders and parents from the community of Dagbasan benefited from the lecture. They were introduced to the tenets of SaemulUndong which are self-help and collaboration resulting to better living conditions in rural areas.
b. Lecture on Mosquito-borne Diseases – Ms.Teresita Puente, a registered nurse working at the Pasig City Health Center, years ago attended a short training program in Korea relevant to her area of expertise. Since mosquito-borne diseases have been rampant recently, PHILKOFA has decided to tap Ms. Puente, a Board of Trustee of the organization, to give a lecture on the aforesaid theme.
47 participants, parents of children who are attending school at Dagbasan Elementrary School, were the target audience. Ms. Puente shared prevention tips on how to avoid mosquito-borne diseases. She also discussed symptoms of Dengue and Zika virus for the parents’ awareness.
- Outreach Program for Dagbasan Elementary SchoolA total of 165 students from Grades 3 to 6 received much needed school supplies from PhilKOFA. Provision of wall fans as well as sports and recreation equipment were very much appreciated by the principal and teachers of the school, stating that the children will be able to focus more on their studies because of better room conditions and that they will have something to look forward to during Physical Education period.
- Coastal Clean-upIn coordination with the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) of Dumaguete, PhilKOFA participated in the Coastal Clean-up in observance of the National Marine Week on September 24-30, 2016. Other government agencies of Dumaguete City such as the Philippine Coast Guard, Philippine National Police and Bureau of Customs, to mention a few, also took part in this meaningful activity.